What is the Annex SL Platform?
While many standards have common elements, they were described and organized differently, making it difficult for organizations to implement multiple standards.
“Annex SL” further addresses these issues by creating a “template” upon which ISO Management System Standards (“MSS”) are to be built in the future.
How Will Annex SL Help You?
An example of Annex SL’s potential may be seen in examples of how documents are more easily managed. For example, Integrated Standards store specializes in providing the basic documents that those seeking multiple standards certification can tailor to their needs. Here is the previous structure of ISO 14001 and ISO 9001:
|ISO 14001:2004||ISO 9001:2008|
|Objectives, Targets and Programs||4.3.3||5.4.1, 5.4.2|
|Resources, Roles, Responsibility, (Accountability) and Authority||4.4.1||5.5.1, 5.5.2, 6.1|
|Competence, Training and Awareness||4.4.2||6.2.1, 6.2.2|
|Control of Documents||4.4.5||4.2.3|
|Monitoring and Measurement||4.5.1||7.6, 8.2.3, 8.2.4|
|Nonconformity, Corrective Action and Preventive Action||4.5.3||8.5.2, 8.5.3|
|Control of Records||4.5.4||4.2.4|
The current structure of ISO 14001:2015, ISO 9001:2015, ISO 45001:2018, ISO 50001:2018 (and others) is now based on the Annex SL framework and therefore shares common terms and definitions. On a practical level, Annex SL improved and streamlined this combination process.
- 0: Introduction
- 1: Scope
- 2: Normative references
- 3: Terms and definitions
- 4: Context of the organization
- 5: Leadership
- 6: Planning
- 7: Support
- 8: Operation
- 9: Performance evaluation
- 10: Improvement
If you are interested in integrating multiple standards, here are comparison pages to show you how easy Annex SL makes implementing multiple standards into your organization.
- Compare ISO 14001 + ISO 45001
- Compare ISO 9001 + ISO 14001 + ISO 45001
- Compare ISO 9001 to ISO 14001
- Compare ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 45001, and ISO 50001
- Compare ISO 9001+ ISO 45001
Building Standards Specificity On Annex SL’s Mandated Structure
Annex SL solves the problem of potential redundancy in basic structure for companies wishing to deploy multiple standards. It requires that a time and effort-saving common structure be used for recurring quality management standard elements. It also allows more specifics to be added for a given area of expertise, i.e., environmental, health, safety.
What Standards Use Annex SL?
There are several standards that now use Annex SL. Here are a few:
- ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System
- ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System
- ISO/IEC 27001, Information technology: Security techniques, Information security management systems
- ISO 45001:2018 Occupational Health & Safety Management System
- ISO 50001:2018, Energy Management System
And there are some sectors that implemented Annex SL including:
- International Automotive Task Force – IATF 16949
- International Aerospace Quality Group (IAQG) – AS9100/10/20