The integration / implementation approach applies for the management systems where requirements are described in the standards:
- ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management Systems – Requirements
- ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management Systems – Requirements with Guidance for use.
- ISO 45001:2018 Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems – Requirements with guidance for use.
The above Management Systems are compatible with each other and have common requirements that are described in clause 4 through clause 10 and detailed in:
- Clause 4 Context of the organization
- Clause 5 Leadership (and Leadership and worker participation)
- Clause 6 Planning
- Clause 7 Support
- Clause 8 Operation
- Clause 9 Performance evaluation
- Clause 10 Improvement
You have your ISO 9001 QMS in place and now have the objective of integrating the ISO 14001 EMS and the ISO 45001 OH&S in one integrated management system. The good news is that since you are familiar with formal management systems, this initiative will be relatively straightforward.
- The task for the IMS team continues and becomes to consider the procedures and instructions that are identified in the Manual sections for IMS Documentation Upgrade Instructions. The task for the IMS team then becomes to systematically take one document at a time and customize / upgrade it to reflect the requirements for the QMS, the EMS and the OHS.
To assist with this process, the areas that are typically unique and require special attention are shown in “Blue Font” in the text for the procedures and instructions.Treat the text in blue as “revisions” or information that is specific to your company.Consider the text in brown as ISO 14001 and ISO 45001:2018 “additions” to the Manual.Text in black italics represents other general instructions for the particular section.
- Includes Technical Support
- Combined Manual for the integrated Management System with minor upgrades to reflect the QMS, the EMS and the OH&S requirements.
- 8 new QMS-EMS-OH&S procedures, (3) EMS-specific procedures, and (3) new OHS-specific procedures to outline process activities,
- 3 new EMS-specific instructions and (3) OHS-specific work instructions will need to be developed and implemented.
- A group of forms, attachments, registers, and flow diagram (27) needed for the procedures and instructions,
- 7 existing procedures with minor updates to reflect the QMS, the EMS and the OH&S requirements.
- 10 typical existing QMS procedures along with (3) typical existing QMS work instructions documents.